Wednesday, December 7, 2011

WTF!! New Language Giving Cursing a Pass! FAIL!


You know life can be a bitch. So can interacting via the internet and email. Or by phone, instant messaging. Then there is facebook, blah, blah, blah... and even the secret language of texting. There are so many different ways for us to communicate... by NOT communicating, that I find it all to be rather impersonal and detached.

Without being able to process the tone behind our words, people are often misheard or misunderstood; in fact, how many times have you gotten into an argument over something you said that was twisted around because it went through someone else’s emotional filter?

Text.. or Not to Text... That is the question. So I asked, are all of our means of communication really good ways of connecting with others? Do we want to connect or are we merely looking for ways to get the point across without having to actually face someone? Have we become that far disconnected?


We are this technological generation, with the emphasis on logic, fighting for the latest versions of a smart phone or TV. We are at the point where the mind is the control box… not human emotions. We do the brain's bidding... not the heart, as it should be. But is a text enough to send the emotional value that goes with a message we might send? I don't know, maybe if we write the text in color? Red for mad, pink for happy, and blue for sad… we will be able to send the note over with its expected emotion... perhaps a step up from the emoticon! WTF!!

By the way, WTF!! which means ‘What the Fuck.’ And in case you don’t know it, Fuck is considered to be a bad word... (altho brilliant I say... after all, a word like 'Fuck' can be used as a noun, verb, and adjective... and all at the same time! So in my book, that can't be all that bad of a word) But if I type it as WTF!! I can say What the FUCK anywhere I please. In fact, anyone can say it… WTF!!?

Earlier I was speaking to a friend. I told her about this video called, ‘What If This Were Your Child?’ It’s an incredibly disturbing, heart-wrenching confessionof a young man… no, a boy … who wants to do harm to himself.

Jonah has been bullied for 6 years now, to the point where he has repeatedlycut on himself. The bullying started in the 2nd grade; the same age as my son as I hear the some of the same sadness echoing in my son's own words about the mean kids at school. Watching this young man in so much pain was heartbreaking. I pray that as a parent, of course I don’t ever hope see this happen to my son, let alone any child... feeling like he has no other choices but...? WTF!!

Anyway… curious about the video? Here is a link.  Sorry… I digress. oops I feel just a little morel left in there.

But we as a community need to put an end to bullying on both ends. Children generally just don't wake up one day and say, Hey.. When I grow up, I want to be a big Dickhead. It's up to each one of us to hold each other up in our communities, in our families... even in our dreams. Communities… what’s that you say? 
Sadly, it seems like we no longer need communities and neighbors and even, the human touch. What we NEED is more technology. MORE... WTF!!

Do you know this video was shared by a little less than 6,200 people? The videos that were shared along with this one, “The Difference Between a Bank and a Gun” and “Does Anybody Really Want a Coat this Cheap?” Of course both with courageous messages; but not a child standing in front of your, wiping the tears from his eyes as he tells you how he failed himself. Both netted over 300,000 shares each… with the Bank and the Gun tipping the scales at over 1M shares. WOW. Oops I mean, WTF!!

I get it... you gots to know where your money is.


So are we that numb? Living in that much denial to not be able to see, and share his pain --because he is gay? I mean, maybe had he not openly admitted he was gay… then we could have shared this video with our friends.

But THAT is an abomination… of God. And an abomination is an abomination; therefore, the boy must be an abomination… right? By that justification, does he deserve what he is feeling. WRONG! Altho my son isn’t gay, he isn’t normal… He is autistic. But here I go again, back to topic of bullying and denial and not what this article is about.


I'm SO CONFUSED...

Isn’t that saying that dirty word... ?              

ok, ok... I promise to stick with the topic... WTF!!

I mean is it ok that we continue to throw the F Bomb around, like it was BRB?!! WTF?? I mean huh? Both seem to fit. Just as serious…

Parents, isn't this what you have to put a quarter in the coin jar for? And yet, here we are... making one of the worst abominations of words... utterly casual... When we use WTF!! for just about everything, like we are flipping around pancakes. Would you like Syrup with that? 

Yet it’s so common that even our kids use it, yet, the 'F Word' that us so bad it earned its own initial, 'F?'  Wow.

So let me get this straight. I can’t say Fuck cuz then I would be a potty mouth. But, I can merely change it to WTF!! and then I can say it in the open…  I can write it out, text it, heck any format that will allow it, like facebook, Twitter, IM, LinkedIn... any application that allows it. The biggest offenders being... take a guess people… parents. Noooo, your children. My children. OUR children.

So let’s all be happy parents with loving children and work on can expanding language to include something other than inappropriate and not as defamatory words... Like WTH!!

Cuz you know if you don’t actually say it... it doesn’t count. Yea… Right? Have I got some beachfront property I was dying to talk to you about…