Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Meaning of Life, a Photo and a Smile

Earlier today I was walking by a nearby school. There was a little girl, maybe about 7 years old. She was severely handicapped. She was being lowered in her wheelchair from the bus that just picked her up for school.

The little girl was met by two of her teachers. She was grinning from ear-to-ear with the most radiant smile that really touched me. In her hand was a paper that had a copy of two pictures from Halloween. The grin was from her joy of her pictures and her pride at being able to share them with her teacher.

That one moment touched me, nearly to tears, in fact, I was choking back the tears. I wanted to go over to the little girl and let her share her picture with me too but honestly I don’t know what the scenario was and I certainly didn’t want to scare her. (although something said to me that she would have been just as proud showing off her Halloween picture to me.

So instead of approaching the little girl, I decided to share my moment here. See this is the reason of why we are all here. And that little girl showed me that with her radiant smile. We are all here to love, to be joyful. and to share that joy with others.

Sometimes it is funny to me that we, the adults, are not always the ones teaching our children; but often, it is them... teaching us. They constantly remind us to love, to laugh, to smile, and to let go and simply enjoy the moment.